Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. meaning I may get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.
I know that this is the classic oxymoron, how to build muscle and lose weight. Muscle weighs more than fat, so if you are building up your muscle mass, you must be gaining weight. Not so, say many of the weight loss experts, both goals can be pursued simultaneously.
OK, I will buy into this if you break out how I can accomplish both of my long term goals. Let’s take a look at this.
Diets to build muscle and lose Weight
A primary component of any diet that means to build muscle mass is protein, lots of it, and at every meal. The will provide the building blocks for muscle mass. It also is not necessarily high in carbs, so the caloric count remains low.
- You need approximately 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight. I suggest a protein shake 30 minutes before working out and another after completing your workout
- As mentioned, a diet heavy in protein is needed, thus I would seriously consider a Paleo diet. Yes, you can gain a significant amount of protein from green veggies, but you will get the additional amino acids via the meat protein
- As you gain muscle mass, it increases your metabolic rate, which will burn more calories 24 hours per day
- Make sure that you are consuming enough calories to support your increased muscle building,
Dietary Supplements to Build Muscle and Lose Weight
The following list of supplements that are used to build muscle, and in some cases, lose weight. I am not a big proponent of supplements, but these are naturally occurring elements that are not known to cause any issues when used in the correct manner.
- Organic Whey Protein Powder – High in protein, generally in the 80% range, extracted from the milk of grass-fed cows. It is high in amino acids, that maximizes protein utilization in the body
- Creatine – Creatine is a man-made form of a chemical that is normally found in the body. It is a source of energy for muscle contraction and is involved in muscle growth
- Glutamine – It is an element of carbon and nitrogen that helps to boost glycogen, restoring energy in the body. It is the most important compound of muscle protein and helps to repair muscles
- L-Carnitine – This is an amino acid that is produced in the body. It helps the body turn fat into energy. It is often used in weight loss programs and is also very important for muscle movement
- Casein – supplies amino acids, carbs, calcium, and phosphorus to the body. Performs a similar function as whey protein and is often substituted for it
Workout Program to Build Muscle and Lose Weight
Here are a few pointers in how to approach your workout regime to maximize your muscle build and weight loss.
- A slow approach is better. Short intense workouts will burn fat and help to build your lean muscle
- Weight and Resistance training is better for what we want to accomplish with this program than a regime that stresses aerobic exercising
- Strength train at least 3 times per week and limit the cardio
- Aim to lose weight slowly, look to increase the lean muscle, it will increase your metabolic rate and burn calories 24/7
- Be patient, strive for the last one to two days between workouts that target the same muscle groups
Best Exercise to Build Muscle and Lose Weight
The following are a few exercises that are great for building muscle while helping you burn fat and can be done anywhere:
- Squats – These can be done a variety of ways. If you are stuck with not equipment and time on your hands, just do some sets of bodyweight squats. I do these when I go get K-cup of tea, and while it is brewing, just do 5-10 squats, a great way to work out all-day
- Push-ups – If you don’t want to hit the floor, which I can’t do to knee replacements, use the wall or kitchen counter to crank out a few sets when you have a moment
- Sit-ups – Follow the same principle; don’t want to hit the floor, I do them sitting in my chair. Not quite as effective, but you are still getting a workout, especially if you sit there with your legs held out straight and do them
- Lunges – Another great lower body workout. You can do these anywhere, and if you want to increase the burn, add some weight in each hand
- Stair Steps – Performs the same function as lunges. You can use the stairs or a solid box to step up and down on
I hope that I have given you some ideas on how you can gain muscle mass and lose weight. It does not have to be an either/or proposition, you can accomplish both simultaneously.