Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. meaning I may get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.
As everyone is aware, the Covid-19 pandemic is upon us. The forecasts indicate that this will be with us for another two years, in its presently virulent form. This brings me to one of my main worries, Covid 19 and weight loss.
The Covid 19 pandemic necessitates most of us being confined, the vast majority of our time, indoors, generally in an apartment or home. I don’t think that I am much different from most people, in that when I am bored, I develop the munchies and snack on whatever is available that I can get my hands, at that moment.
For someone who is as weight-challenged as I am, this is not a great scenario. I am normally able to keep my weight in control by utilizing meal delivery programs, like BistroMD and Nutrisystem. These provide me with nutritious meals and snacks for each day;but, if I get bored and are near any dangerous foods (that being anything sweet and sugary, than everything goes out the window.
Sometimes a meal program that combines a mental aspect to it, like Noom, will help me conquer my cravings. Boredom and inactivity are real weight loss killers for me.
How do we conquer binge eating and also, binge watching TV? If I am sitting in front of the TV, then I know I will have something to munch on nearby. I know one obvious answer is to not have any detrimental foods in the house. I am not the only one living under this roof, so I am not always able to control what comes into the pantry.
I looked at everything and I have come up with a couple of thoughts on Covid 19 and weight loss.
How to combat weight gain while confined
following are some methods that you might consider when confronted with this problem. Build an in-home gym – now this isn’t as difficult as you might think I am lucky to have a recumbent exercise bike that I bought years ago. This is a great form of exercise and mine has 12 different cycle programs built in to it. So I can work my body as hard as I dare, on any given day. Here are some of the best ideas on portable in-home gyms that you might look at considering:
- Body Gym Fitness – This is adjustable resistance equipment that is an all-in-one fitness system that you can take and do anywhere
- LegXercise – This isn’t so much a piece of fitness equipment as it is a necessary piece of equipment for those of us relegated to working from home. It is designed to naturally stimulate leg circulation when working at a desk or chair. It will exercise your legs, but more importantly for us older individuals, it will keep that circulation moving.
- Total Gym – With over 80 exercises, it is hard to find a workout that won’t work for you. One great thing about this piece of exercise equipment is that it is low-impact, a great way to exercise at any age
- OYO – This is an extremely portable home gym. Their marketing motto is: Anywhere, Anytime and it aptly fits this piece of exercise equipment t a ‘T”. Men or women, beginner or advanced workouts, it is all there.
- Gorilla Bow – This system provides a total body workout that tones, tightens, and burns fat. It is designed for an intense total body workout, to build and strengthen your body
- Body Boss 2.0 – This is a fully portable home gym workout package that includes everything you need to get yourself in shape and lose weight. It is a great system for working both the upper and lower body
Ok, I think we have covered the portable home gym aspect of losing weight or preventing weight gain while confined during the Covid 19 pandemic.
One thing that I want to clarify, you do not need to go out and buy expensive home gym fitness equipment that you might never use again once we have been released from confinement. Granted, many of the above mentioned systems are not overly expensive, but you can still workout your body by simply building a body weight exercise program.
I incorporate body weight training with my exercise bike and resistance bands. Body weight training, in and of itself, will give you a very thorough workout. It just requires consistency and intensity. These are two areas that you provide via your mental process. This leads me into my second portion of this post:
Practice meditation, mindfulness, and mind-strengthening
I know that you have all heard this before, but it requires mentioning once again. You and Your mind are tougher than anything life can throw at you.
- Practice daily mindfulness – go to a quiet place and just stop thinking and let you mind clear
- Gratefulness – Practice this daily, especially when you first arise in the morning. Be glad for what you have, what you have been given in this life. There are thousands of individuals in this world who would love to be in your shoes
- Develop the ability to meditate – This will take some practice, it is not some new-age wonder trick, it will help you clear your mind and see where you are in your life
- Map out your life – The old adage that you can find what you want, if you don’t know where you are going is as true today as when it was first uttered
- Mindset – You can do this-you want to do this-you will do this is your daily mantra. Ingrained this mentally, write it down and carry it with you. This is your life’s motto now.
I found these thoughts in an article posted by Seth Godin. “As soon as we encounter something, anything, it will never be as it was. Our experience always goes in one direction, forward, backward isn’t an option, our only choice is forward.”
The Covid 19 pandemic is here, it will be here for a while. I am sure that once it has run its course, it will be followed by other insidious flu-like diseases, that seems to be the way of our world.
Conquer your self, this will lead to your ability to conquer your weight and health. Keep a journal of you trials and tribulations. This will allow you to see where you have been and what you still need to accomplish. It is your journey, go for it, you can do it.