OK folks, it is “body make over time”, we have self isolated ourselves to prevent the spread of the corona virus, why not take the best advantage of this and learn how to exercise and lose the belly fat.
First off, I should put out this disclaimer. I am not a fitness trainer or body coach. I am an overweight, 73 year old male, who is working on trying to extend his useful years. Over the course of my lifetime, I bet I have lost at least 500 lbs, only to add it back over time.
The last six months have been, what I consider to be, my last great attempt to rid myself of this excess weight and lose the belly fat that has accumulated.
Targeting Belly Fat
Is it truly possible to target belly fat with a specific exercise program?
I don’t believe that an exercise program exists that can specifically target belly fat loss, per se.
What you have are a variety of exercises that burn calories at a higher rate, while working to tighten and strengthen the underlying core muscles.
Let’s look at a few of the highly rated caloric burning exercises that also strengthen the core muscles.
- FIIT Program or Something Similar – I don’t believe that you have to join the FIIT app program to gain the useful advantages of what is promoted by this program. I feel that the principles espoused by the program are the most effective workout philosophy that is out there today.
- What is FIIT, you might ask? – FIIT stands for frequency, intensity, time, and type of exercise. This should be the template to how you develop your own personal workouts, that meet your own personal fitness goals, taking into consideration your current fitness level,
- This does not mean you have to join FIIT and buy the fitness app to do this
This concept is great and you can develop your own program or join the FIIT App, if you wish.
You want to create a program that you can fit into your daily schedule, at least 3-5 days a week. Preferably more, but at least that much.
Your program should have a high intensity interval training component. This simply means going “all out” for a short period and then, a rest period. You need to do this, rinse and repeat, for 3 to 5 times. Obviously, the intensity level will be determined by your current fitness level.
I have not mentioned this prior to now, but all individuals, regardless of fitness levels, should consult with their own doctor before entering into any fitness program, whether self-designed or bought and paid for.
Strive to workout a minimum of 30 minutes per day. You can alternate high intensity days with days that you might just walk or ride the bike for 30 minutes.
The object is to burn calories, burn more than you are consuming.
Core Muscle Development
There is nothing better for increasing the definition of our abs than a program of core muscle strengthening work. Lol, I can see you now, what abs, I haven’t seen them in years. That is all about to change,
Prepare that groundwork for the belly fat loss by tightening all the core muscle groups. This can be accomplished by:
- Planks – These are a great means of overall core body work. They will work almost all muscle groups in the body, but especially the core muscles. Start out slow, 10-20 seconds. This might not sound like much, but just wait until you try to do them. Work up to a 3-minute plank, you do that and you will be a super star
- Push ups – Good old push-ups, a fitness standby and that is for a very good reason. They build overall strength, burn calories, and work on core muscles
- Side Bends – Side bends develop deep core muscles and work on the obliques
- Leg Raises – Just lay flat on the floor and slowly raise your legs, keeping them together. Slowly lower them, without touching the floor. This is an extremely good exercise for the lower ab core muscles
- Sit-ups – Where would we be without the exercise constant, sit-ups. Not as good, overall, as planks, but an easy to do exercise from any chair we might be sitting in
For someone working out from home, these are a great addition to your workout program and can be designed to fit any level of fitness.
I bought a set of resistance bands for in-home exercising. The combined weight resistance, for my band set, will equal 150 lbs, which is sufficient for all my exercising needs.
My set came with an exercise workout program included. If you seek variety, YouTube has an abundance of various programs to watch.
If you are caught at home without any in-home equipment and cut-off from your fitness center, develop your own body weight exercise program.
Simply incorporate body weight:
- Push ups
- Stair Steps
- Sit ups
- Running in Place
Acually, you are only limited by your own imagination. An expensive fitness center or costly equipment is not needed to burn those calories. The two (2) biggest keys to completing a successful workout program is Attitude and Commitment.
You can burn calories and reduce the belly fat with your own personal exercise program, even while being isolated at home.
Commit to a realistic workout schedule, do it on a consistent basis, monitor your diet for caloric intake, and maintain a positive attitude.
On November 1, 2019, I weighed 315 lbs. This morning, April 4, 2020, I weigh 248 lbs. Could I have lost more, you might ask, and yes, I could have. I am happy with my progress and will continue this journey until I reach my goal of 175 lbs.
You have been given an inordinate amount of free time, not by choice, I realize, use it fully to your advantage and develop the body that you have always wanted.